Former school teacher, autonomista, trying to figure out where and what kind of actions to take to make this world a more just place. And not drink too much beer. And have some fun and get down and get funky once in a while. And eat popsicles. And fruit. And ride her bike.

8.04.2006

Work and Justicia

I am still struggling with the job. I have never, ever had an office job for more than five seconds. I think we all can guess why. I even slept late this morning in a subconsious protest. That is NOT a good work ethic. And it's not the organization, they're great. I just need to get myself in gear.

I have a two week break to do camp with this organization that has good intentions. We know what the road to hell is paved with, no?....http://www.swaraj.org/illich_hell.htm . I would be too harsh if I just wrote the camp organization off as being a bunch of white yuppies 'helping' black, urban poor because there is a Korean who works there.... doh! No, it's a good thing mostly. Except they have photo opps with the kids wearing DelMonte hats. And they get the one white kid in the program to take the photo with all the black kids... sigh. But from a selfish point of view I get to be OUTSIDE and playing with children!
At least I rode my bike here today.

Some outdoors for me. How do people do this office crap on a regular basis?!? One good thing at work today is I've been delving into the readings/videos we have here. I watched a super upsetting documentary about the police occupation of Atenco, a town near Mexico City. For those of you who don't know- the barest of bones- Govt. wanted to build an airport in Atenco on farm land. Farmers said no. Farmers protested. Farmers 'won'. Later the police came in and raided Atenco, beating and raping whoever they could get their hands on. The solidarity movement came out STRONG. And the Zapatistas declared a Red Alert in the caracoles (the social/governmental sectors of the communities) so that no one is going there in support of those from Atenco who are still in jail. I encourage you to read more, my info. isn't good enough for sure. http://chiapas.indymedia.org/search-process.php3?medium=video.php3?medium=video has video you can watch of the event and the reaction.

At least shit like this snaps me out of my self pity. I get so upset by governmental violence and power manipulation and so moved by the outpouring of thousands of people who say 'YA BASTA!' and march the streets and protest in all corners of the world... they are not alone. Okay, enough waxing hippie. (wait, hippies don't wax. they like fuzzy...)

I'm supposed to dog sit this weekend. I like dog sitting, the dog I sit for is a beautiful husky. I get lots of attention when I walk him. It's good for the ego. It's fun in a weird way to be with him too, like I talk to him and enjoy his company. He's very present. I have a cat (gigantic Amelia) and she's very dear to me, but at the same time she really does her own thing (eat) and chills with me when it's good for her. I care about her immensely but with all my travel and constant moving kitty ownership doesn't bode well for me. Although it's been some 7 or 8 years now...

This week included not enough capoeira and I did fairly well on the moderate beer consumption. This is from a benefit show last weekend for a woman in the group who has cancer. How much does that suck?

And lets tuck in our shirt next time, shall we? We had a fundraiser that was a scavenger hunt this spring when I was still in VT. I was on a team with some funny ladies... there was lots of optional nudity on the scavenger hunt list and one of the girls was suuuper comfortable ripping off her clothes for the sake of the team. My favorite was her getting on a bike naked shouting "I'm body confident!". That's good inspiration. There was also a call for canudeling, when you get into a (stranger's) canoe (on their front lawn) and take a picture for points.

This blog is me in a nutshell. Trying to figure out my life- the work stuff; trying to piece apart political injustice and what to do with it- the Atenco part; a discussion of animals; capoeira; and finally nudity for points. I know the semi-colons don't really fit there, but I like to use a variety of punctuation. I hope people read this blog. I liked the comments I got last time. Although I haven't figured out how to read other people's blogs yet. I'm such a newbie.

Oh! One last thing, I had another meeting with CONFEMEX (the confederation of Mexican federations-love that name!) and I have to do it all in Spanish and it seems the perfect job for me if ONLY I COULD SPEAK BETTER! Gimme just one month back in Central Am. and I'd be on top of my game. I'm too english-ified right now. aaaaaaaarrgggggghhhhhhh! Where's the latino boyfriend when you need him?

Okay enough already. Fresh air here I come!!!!!!!

La Paleta Mas Rica

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the office thing...sounds like a worthy organization. I'm so impressed by you! I (gasp) actually did that office thang for 2 years, had biz cards and the whole 9 yards. I thought of it a little like role-playing.

have fun camping!

love,
katie

4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home