Former school teacher, autonomista, trying to figure out where and what kind of actions to take to make this world a more just place. And not drink too much beer. And have some fun and get down and get funky once in a while. And eat popsicles. And fruit. And ride her bike.

9.24.2006

Music and Thirty-Three Years


It's been a topsy turvy week, as usual. Last weekend a friend came into town. He had just come back from a summer in Africa, India and Alaska. It was great to see pictures and I tried not to be jealous. It's amazing that giraffes are real. There's a lot I want to write about the visit, but it's hard to know where to draw the line on someone else's privacy on a blog. I have the urge to tell all about myself (hence the blog) but don't want to spill anyone else's beans. Suffice it to say it was an odd visit, but we did go hear some GREAT music, and I once again appreciated the idea of good male friends. There was lots of biking around and some rain but the best part was this band called Dengue Fever , there were these Jewish guys playing 60's surfpop music (organ, goofy guitars, bouncy drums) and a Cambodian pop singer... styley, funny, dancey music. The music kept going as my birthday week began- WHOO! We saw some fun forro, and some very good people came out in force to help me jump up and down to a hot Cuban/Miami band with Descemer Bueno too.

That weekend was also Seth and Talya's wedding. It was very original and very them. They held it in this very cool community space the Experimetal Station . They grew their own flowers, had us make our own pizzas in the wood burning oven, hung their own photos, had friends and family lend their talents... I was honored to be ask to make some of my little comics for the tables. It was very sweet (of course I cried), music, dancing, etc... I had to stifle some of my feeling sorry for myself and that I'll never find love feeling and focus on them and the good thing they've got. I'm seeing it everywhere these days. I went down to Springfield this weekend to visit my friend who now lives on an incredibly beautiful organic farm with 8 dogs and some kitties and a boy she's totally in love with. It almost looks like she has googley love eyes in this photo, no? She seems to have everything she's wanted (and it's so well deserved) I just can't help a sigh. I'm so self centered some times. I want love like that too.

But I'm not longing. Or trying not to long... I'm working and have to start the speaking tour.. that's going to be intense. I'm sure I'll write more about that once it starts. And I had an unusually good birthday. I usually have the Birthday Blues Breakdown where I sit and whine and cry and wonder "What am I doing with my life? I have done nothing so far. I am useless." But I managed to dance my ass off on several occasions, hang out with really great friends, drink a lot of beer, get some really fun and useful gifts, get perspective on an annoying work situation, get hit on by a boy ten years younger than myself, and in general feel pretty good about being alive.
I really appreciated that people make an effort to call and try and spend time
with me. It makes me feel loved in such a way that it's okay for a tiny bit if I
have to wait for romantic love for a bit. I've got some really wonderful friend
love to tide me over.
And of course I hit The Skylark. Friend love. Bar love. Zapatismo. I think it could be the perfect trifecta....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home