Former school teacher, autonomista, trying to figure out where and what kind of actions to take to make this world a more just place. And not drink too much beer. And have some fun and get down and get funky once in a while. And eat popsicles. And fruit. And ride her bike.

10.08.2007

Inspiration City

I have moved. I am officially in a New City (which is actually quite old, both in age and 'cuz I grew up here) and am trying to hit the ground running. I have been here a week and am trying to get the political action going and managed to find the dope ass radical bookstore in town (click to get excellent links, especially for the Boston area), meet up with the young, white anarchists (they are everywhere, bless 'em), begin to learn this mess of tangled up streets on my bike, do the employment hustle, and smell the insanely comforting odor of autunm leaves falling, crunching and toasting.
I have had some good inspiration. I am as ever indebted to a former classmate who lives in Jamaica and sends me the best music just when I need it most. I am in love with Queen Ifrika. Concious and bad-ass. I never cease to be amazed how much the right rhytms can pull you through what you need to get through.

More inspiration: the Honk Festival. A great festival of all of these activist bands, brass bands, brasilian style bloques, all who were leftylefty and full of energy and fun and spirit and creativity... it got me thinking of different ways to participate in protest. Talking with a friend of mine here about immigrant rights marches and organizing and how they've lacked the street theatre or music or creative element beyond signs.... and the bands were so largely white (like the anarchists) and how many people who are born here really care about ICE raids in the very cities that have declared themselves sanctuaries for immigrants and refugees- like Chelsea. How fucking dare ICE stick their asses in a sanctuary city- its such a show of bullshit force...

In anycase, more inspiration- I got in some dancing at such a nonpretentious place, it's been a while (ever?) since I've been to a salsa night where there was the regular glamourous latino crowd plus a whole bunch of lesbians all in it together with no tensions .... got a great rebuilt bike from Bikes Not Bombs, went to capoeira, started to rebuild my social network... all in all the moving has been a good choice. I'm not excited to go back to work. The place that chose me is not remotely political and there's a damn dress code (are you kidding me???), I had a panic attack shopping for stupid office clothes and I wish I had some of the deep connections with people (especially political and creative) that I just left but I have to give myself a break too that it takes time. But as I chug along I remain inspired.... and that's a good boost for now... let me channel it into the work that needs to be done!
Vaya Paleta!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Columbus Day. (Joke..)

1:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

corry

I ass-ume your latest entry was about move to Boston? Your blog is sweet. I think I need to start such a thang. Time, motivation? Is that shit for sale?!

Bikes not bombs rocks. Thur. at Amtrak station in B-town waiting for train noticed intensity of Btown bikers: lower face mask, tobogan, skigoggles. Like a ninja biker. Soundleslly, and more seemlessly slipping through space time.

So I've miraculously lost your new # and was hoping to stay the night with you tomorrow night in Boston on the way back to NH. I sent you an e-mail SIT style, but never heard back, who knows what happened. I will still try my best to contact you, pero quien sabe que va a passar?! Ojala que nos encontraran!

11:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home